The Arc of Tippecanoe County is committed to all individuals with developmental disabilities realizing their goals of learning, living, working, and playing in their community.
- Empowering individuals through advocacy and social opportunities
- Empowering their families through education
- Empowering their communities through awareness
Founded in 1953 by a group of local parents and educators, The Arc serves as a resource to self-advocates and family members for a better life and to the community to promote positive attitudes to disabilities.
Meet Our Board of Directors
- Joe Hemersbach, President: Joe is the Deputy Director of Aging and Disability Services at Area IV Agency on Aging & Community Action Programs. He has worked there for 12 years, previously working for Adult Protective Services and Family Services, Inc. for 18 years in the Lafayette region. Joe is a graduate of Purdue University and Ball State University. He lives in Carroll County.
- Kathy Smith, Vice President: Kathy lives is Warren County and is a Direct Service Professional.
- Dan Carpenter, Secretary: Originally from the Chicago area, Dan spent 22 years on active duy as a US Army commissioned officer. His last assignment was as Army ROTC Department Head at Purdue University from 2004 to 2008. He retired from the Army in 2008 and is now a Senior Associate Director in Student Success at Purdue. He currently serves on the Education Committee.
- Theresa Bradley, Treasurer: Theresa is the Accountant for Area IV Agency on Aging and Community Action Programs. She has worked at Area IV and other local non-profits for over 20 years.
- Stephanie Weatherford, Consumer Representative: Stephanie has lived in the Lafayette and surrounding area all of her life. She as been a member of the Tippy Arc for 3 years and a Consumer Representative for 2. I currently serve on the Direct Services Committee. Stephanie has also been instrumental in the planning of the Prom the last two years.
- Tina Richter-Sweat- Tina graduated from Purdue with a degree in Elementary Education. She has lived in the Lafayette area for over 30 years. Twenty-three of those years were spent working with and advocating for adults and children with physical and intellectual disabilities as well as training direct support professionals. Tina currently works for the Tippecanoe School Corporation. She enjoys spending time with family and friends. She is also a Townie Mom supporting Boilermaker families from all over the world.
- Sherry Vickery: Sherry is a Direct Care Professional for Opportunities for Positive Growth in Lafayette and has brought Consumers to Arc events for several years. She is active on the Direct Services Committee, Education Committee and Arc in the Park Near Dark.
- Tori Roy: Tori is new to the Board in 2018. She has been a member of the Direct Services Committee for over a year. She is also involved in Arctober Fest and the Prom Committee. Tori has two little boys and is married to Brandon an active duty Marine.